New Rules For Drone Usage

Written by on 2017-03-22 5:53 AM . It has 4 Comments.

Transport Canada recently announced new rules for recreational drone use in Canada. Unlike previous guidelines around drone usage these are now law and, if found guilty, a person could see a fine of up to $3,000. If your drone weighs between 250 grams and 35 KG you must follow these rules:

Do not operate your recreational drone:

  • higher than 90 m above the ground
  • closer than 75 m from buildings, vehicles, vessels, animals, people/crowds, etc.
  • closer than nine km from the centre of an aerodrome (any airport, heliport, seaplane base or anywhere that aircraft take-off and land)
  • within controlled or restricted airspace
  • within nine km of a forest fire
  • where it could interfere with police or first responders
  • at night or in clouds
  • if you can’t keep it in sight at all times
  • if you are not within 500 m of your drone
  • if your name, address, and telephone number are not clearly marked on your drone.

Operating your drone in clear weather and during daylight hours where you can see it at all times with your own eyes is paramount to ensuring proper and safe drone usage. It is vitally important to follow these rules as we've heard of a number of news stories where a drone has complicated the flight of an airplane near an airport. One man was criminally charged.

Commercial Usage Rules for Drones

When using a drone commercially, for your business, you must follow the rules in the Canadian Aviation Regulations for Unmanned Air Vehicles and respect the Trespass Act and any municipal, provincial or territorial laws which apply.

New changes are coming regarding new flight rules, aircraft marking and registration, knowledge testing, minimum age limits and pilot permits for certain UAV pilots.

Knowing where you can operate your commercial or business drone is important. Visiting here, you will read about Transport Canada's Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft. As well there may be instances where you will require a Special Flight Operations Certificate. Read this page from Transport Canada to learn where and when you will need a SFOC.

Get Professional Training

There are training facilities opening up all the time which will provide specific training for drone usage. A simple search using the term 'drone school Canada' will provide you with ample choice and options. Make sure the training you get also complies with Transport Canada's rules and regulations.

Get the Right Protection for Your Commercial Drone Usage

Do you need an insurance estimate for your commercial or business drone? Visit here for more information.

Have a comment? We look forward to reading it below.

Thanks for reading.


Got something to say? Join the discussion »
  1. AL's avatar AL
    Thanks for the information, perhaps insurance companies will pass on discounts for those that take flight school training as an incentive.

    Reply 2017-03-22 4:49 PM
    • Albert Schmidt's avatar Albert Schmidt
      That's a great idea Al. Insurance companies do that same thing for new drivers who get driver training. Thanks for the comment.
      Reply 2017-03-28 6:17 AM
  2. Sky Pilot's avatar Sky Pilot
    Transport Canada has made it illegal to fly in most ways to generate income. Pain in the ass.
    Reply 2017-03-22 5:37 PM
    • Albert Schmidt's avatar Albert Schmidt
      Hi Sky Pilot,

      Transport Canada is in a difficult place. They want to protect third parties, but also want to help this kind of economic activity. I suspect there will be more tweaking of the laws as a greater understanding of the uses of Drones comes into play. Thanks for the comment.
      Reply 2017-03-28 6:19 AM

Leave a Reply

 [Quick Submit with Ctrl+Enter]

Remember my details
Notify me of followup comments via e-mail