Every cost counts when you run a business. Delays of any kind can cause undue strain for you, and potential interruptions for your clients and customers. So, what can you as a business owner do to reduce or eliminate the risk of having your company’s equipment stolen and avoid some of these headaches? Here are 6 simple, effective measures businesses can take to reduce the risk of theft.
1. Do you have a company logo? Make sure you put it on all your equipment. This can also be an effective way of advertising. Place company serial codes on all of your vehicles and equipment in out of sight areas.
2. Do you know what equipment your company owns or what amount of contents it has? Having a detailed inventory with photos will help aid in recovery of your belongings if they’re stolen. This will also help to prove your business is the rightful owner when stolen items are recovered. This is important for insurance purposes. Being able to prove you owned something before it was stolen is just as important as being able to prove something it is yours after it’s recovered.
3. Do you have a secure storage facility? House all your equipment in a centrally monitored location. This way it is easier to keep track of what’s out and being used and what should be in storage.
4. Do you have large construction machines? Think about installing GPS locators on your machines. This works well for private automobiles and will aid in recovery if your bulldozer, or other large construction machine, is stolen.
5. Are your company buildings secure? From security fencing, to cameras, to guards and alarm systems there are a lot of options out there to secure your company premises. Basic security features will have a deterring effect on would be burglars and thieves. There are plenty of options available for security cameras which utilize cloud computing and tablet computer technologies. Affordability has improved substantially over the years, making security systems more accessible.
6. Do you have adequate lighting at night? Keeping your business grounds and work-sites well lit at night is a deterrent for would be thieves. Adequate lighting is also highly recommended for company parking lots especially where employees may be working late at night. As business owners your employees’ safety should be always front of mind.
Related Read: How can Insurance Help you with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act?
Taking active steps now to reduce the risk of theft, burglary, and vandalism means you help keep your insurance costs down, and avoid potential interruption to your business and more importantly to your clients. At Erb and Erb Insurance Brokers Ltd. we have an established reputation for protecting our commercial clients with our risk management services and insurance packages.
Do you have questions about risk management and how it can help your business? Click here for our contact page and let us know what your concerns are. If you’d like a quote on your company insurance please click here to find our commercial programs.
Do you have a great tip we’ve missed? Let us know in the comment section below. We’d love to hear from you.
Thanks for reading!