Protecting and Respecting your Privacy
Erb and Erb Insurance Brokers Policies & Procedures
In the course of our business, it is necessary to collect, record, store, process, transmit, and otherwise handle personal information about individuals. You trust us with your personal information, so that we can determine the appropriate insurance products and premiums. We intend to keep that trust by treating your information with appropriate care. We take your personal information handling seriously and will do so employing fair, secure and appropriate methods. All such handling is intended to be consistent with both generally accepted privacy principles and standard business practices.
Accuracy is key
In order for our records to be complete and up-to-date, it is imperative that you inform your broker promptly of any changes to relevant information.
Personal information refers to information that identifies you. Your name, date of birth, address, telephone number, family status and gender are examples of personal information. It does not include the name, title or contact information of an employee of a business.
We collect personal information only with your consent and by fair and lawful means and for the purpose(s) that you have given consent.
The purpose for which your personal information is collected will be specified at or before the time of collection. Any changes of purpose will be communicated to you. Your consent will be expressed in writing, given verbally, electronically, or through an authorized representative. In limited circumstances consent can also be implied (e.g. if you’re acquiring auto insurance with a teen driver on the policy; consent is implied for the collection of their personal information).
We will not give, sell or rent your personal information to persons not associated with the provision of products and services of Erb and Erb Insurance Brokers.
- Personal information will not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those specified by you, except:
- Where required by law (e.g. a court order)
- Where reasonably necessary, to determine eligibility for a benefit or product
- To protect the interests of Erb and Erb Insurance Brokers against criminal activity, fraud, and material misrepresentation in connection with a contract.
We keep your personal information and the business you do with us confidential; and we employ appropriate security safeguards
We have developed and maintain security safeguards against loss, theft, copying, unauthorized disclosure, use or modification of personal information. Access to is limited to employees and authorized providers who need it to perform their work. We retain your personal information as long as required.
We collect, use and in specific instances share your personal information in order to:
- Identify and process your request for insurance or financial products.
- Confirm your application information and assess your eligibility for products and services (to complete the underwriting process)
- Provide you with ongoing services, establish and maintain communication, and to respond to your requests
- Protect all parties from error and fraud
- To fully understand your needs and objectives
- To administer and deliver products and services to you
- To help determine the suitability of our products and services to you
- To provide you with information about our products and services that may be of interest to you or a good fit with your needs
- To set up and manage products and services that you have requested
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements of our industry
We may collect, use and disclose your information with other insurers, insurance reporting agencies, credit bureaus, financial carriers and / or any other person or corporation such as the Motor Vehicle Licensing Bureau:
- To administer and deliver products and services to you; so that they may contact you for accounting or claims, information bulletins, conducting background checks, including credit checks, inspecting risks, providing data to insurers,
- To confirm the validity of existing insurance upon demand as required by law
- To provide external claims support
- To provide any necessary legal communications
We do not share your health information without your express consent.
You have the right to access your file.
If you are interested in contacting us regarding our privacy policies, procedures, or would like to review, verify or amend your personal information, know with whom we have shared your personal information, or if you would like to change your consent or file a complaint; please contact our privacy officer at (519) 579-4270 or by sending us a message here.
Alternately you may write to:
Erb and Erb Insurance Brokers, a division of Lackner McLennan Insurance Ltd.
818 Victoria St. N Kitchener ON N2B 3C1
Should you wish to receive a copy of the documentation we have on file, minimal copying fees may apply. You will be informed of any charges prior to the documents being produced.
If a complaint is justified, we will take the appropriate actions to resolve the situation and amend our policies and procedures.
You have the right to withhold personal information or to withdraw consent, however, we only collect information that is necessary to determine your eligibility for coverage, process your business and handle your claims. If you exercise your right to refuse to provide personal information, we may not be able to provide you with the requested products or services.
Once a policy has been issued to you, you may not withdraw your consent without all coverages ceasing in accordance with appropriate policy or statutory conditions. This is necessary since we may be required to use your personal information in the normal course of handling your business (for example we may need to contact you in the event of a claim.)
Links to and from third party web sites
Our web site includes links to third party web sites that may be of interest to you. Erb and Erb Insurance Brokers is not responsible for the accuracy or reliability of information provided on third party web sites. Links to and from third party web sites should not be taken as an endorsement of those web sites or content of those web sites by Erb and Erb Insurance Brokers.
We may, from time to time, review and / or revise our privacy policies. You may request a copy of the most recent version. The most recent version may also be found on our website www.erb-erb.com.
Adjuster — a representative who is licensed to investigate claims and to negotiate the amount of the settlement, if any.
Collection — the gathering of personal information from any source including from third parties, by any means.
Consent — voluntary agreement with what is being done or proposed. Consent can be either express or implied.
Power of attorney - the authority given to act on behalf of another person or corporation in legal and financial matters.
Third party — any person other than you who is involved in a transaction.
Underwrite — to determine under what conditions and at what value the insurance company will provide insurance.